Tuesday, June 10, 2014

La Salle Returns! Chopping the Chop

Looking at my recent 4-door Jacqueline rendering, here, I wondered what it would look like with the classic V-and-Crest logo used by Cadillac for decades. The Jacqueline's trunklid was bare except for a chromed lock. I used a late 1950s version for the "V" and I liked what it looked like. Then the taillights looked way too plain for anything Bill Mitchell would have approved, so I extended the side chrome spear all the way around the taillights. I tied them together with a very Sixties brushed aluminum trim piece. The painted C-pillars became adorned with pebble-grained leather inserts. I also changed to color to a very elegant peach-tinted silver metalflake, and the interior would have been a combination of that black pebble-grained leather and pleated peach leather or brocade.

I rarely go back and modify one of my renderings but I'm glad I did.

I think Pininfarina was hoping the Jacqueline would be built as the Brougham had been taken away from them. Instead of a coupe if they had done a new sedan maybe they may have scored a new Cadillac to build. If they had used Cadillac logos and nameplates perhaps it would have swayed the powers-that-be enough to be a "Yes."

5 comments:

  1. So close! I liked the first rendition of this car. I like this one a lot more. I wrote about the first one that the Pininfarina front end was ugly and urged you to re-do the front. I envision it a lot like another Pininfarina car - the Rondini. I bet you have some other ideas. I say 'so close' because with this and your February design of the Pininfarina Brougham you're half way to another Cadillac portfolio. Just ad an Eldorado convertible and maybe a Fleetwood sedan. But then you would have to come up with all those fun names for the colors. Maybe someday . . .

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! I'm working on a front view of the car right now. It's hard, lol. I'm giving it vertical headlight pods like the real '65s had. I'm going under the assumption that Pinifarina may have done the verticals first and then Mitchell liked them enough to order them for the '65s, lol. I'm just having some trouble working out the pods correctly and then the grille.

      Delete
  2. How about something like the '60 Buick had turned 90 degrees. Would that work?

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Earlier comment. You already have enough chops for a '61 catalog portfolio. Between new entries I sometimes revisit some of your past entries. I remembered your 'Rat Pack' 2 door hardtop wagon ( one of my all time favorites ) but had completely forgotten the V12 project. If you decided to do another catalog you might want to re-color one or two before adding a formal sedan and maybe an Eldorado convertible.
    Just a thought for a future project, if you have some time.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, I've been lurking here off and on for a coupe of years;

    This is what I envision Seville might have looked like if that program had started 10 years earlier.

    ReplyDelete