Saturday, March 30, 2013

Earliest Chops: Crude, Outside-the-Box

Some of my earliest digitally-modified cars. The technique! Or lack of it! These date to the 2005-07 era. Many were done in less than an hour. I was participating nightly in Autoweek's Combustion Chamber, an online forum. Someone would ask "what if" about a various cars and sometimes I'd do a quick chop and post it as fast as I could. Still, I like looking back at these.

International Harvester Travelall "Sedan Pickup." Behold my suicide door 4 door pickup with wraparound glass and an immense rear seat at the expense of a very short pickup box. Answers a question no one has ever asked. 2007-ish.

Exaggerated stab at a Toyota hybrid sedan, ca 2005-06. Interestingly, spy shots of the next '14 Corolla have some similarities with this futurist rendering.

Done in 2006 or 2007 this was my attempt to show GM that, yes, Saab's DNA could be made to work with a crossover... Body modified from some European GM crossover from back then.

This Wildcat was done just a few days after the first Enclave prototype pics were released, 2006 or '07? It was to be a tall, AWD, Enclave based sedan with a touch of Thirties Buick trunkback sedans in the rear.

I'm pretty sure this is Chop #1. It's an Escalade sedan. I was very interested in seeing what a really tall, truck-based sedan would look like. To me, the Escalade was a station wagon, and thus should have sedan and coupe variants. I had used Photoshop professionally for my book designs and production, color-correcting images, fading, feathering, collages, etc, but had never tried to modify a photograph into something entirely different. I think I might revisit this concept with the newest Escalade one of these days.

A quick attempt to turn a European Ford concept car, the Iosis if I remember correctly, into a domestic Lincoln sedan. I used the then-current Lincoln grille cues in a larger/wider form. I still like this front end. The rest of the car was pulled and made taller. I used the tall, slim C-pillar windows that classic Town Cars sported. 2007-ish.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Casey,

    These must be from before I discovered the Combusion Chamber because none looks familiar. I love the sedan-ized SUVs. I've thought about the same concept ever since I saw a Suburban (a couple of generatons back) that was lowered so that it had the ground clearance and overall height of a regular sedan. It looked pretty spectacular! I'm eager to see what you can come up with for a new Escalade Sedan, considering how you've mastered the software for making these chops.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll do an Escalade sedan next. Hadn't thought of it for years!

      Delete
  2. This "sedan pick-up" reminds me of this 1960 Ford F-100 from Argentina almost car-like. Here a vintage picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifhp97/6879543757

    ReplyDelete