Wednesday, March 20, 2013

2014 AMC Ambassador Eight coupe: Yes, I Said AMC!

Here in casey/artandcolour's world, Chrysler reached into its deep stable of unused nameplates for this new twin-turbo V8 hybrid drivetrain luxury coupe: The Ambassador Eight. Styling picks up from the marque's long history of dramatically styled Ambassadors with a roofline evocative of its last large pillarless coupes from the early '70s. Red, white, and blue Ambassador Eagles from 1961 adorn each wheel center and '66 wraparound trim pieces on each corner of the car include contemporary LEDs. Those classic-looking, flush AMC door handles would now be electronic touch panels with powered soft-close mechanisms.

Note: The wheels are modified Volkswagen wheels. The flush covers actually are removable for a more traditional spoked wheel look. Bobf, one of this blog's longtime readers, suggested them for a different chop, one that's on the list, but I have a feeling you'll see them on many of my future cars. I love the look of them! The flat portions could be body-colored, too. VW is doing some really great wheels recently. They have a set that look for all the world like painted steelies with dog-dishes and some with such thin and flat spokes as to look two-dimensional.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a competitor for the Bentley Continental. Sleek but conservative. I really like the wheels.

    BobF

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEautiful! As you know, I'm huge Nash fan and I love this car. Ambassador is a great car name and was one of the longest-lived names. (I think Town & Country currently holds that title.) These wheels are terrific and such a nice change from what we see so much of these days.

    Dare I say the fastback puts me in mind of the Marlin???

    It also seriously resembles the new Rolls-Royce Wraith!

    Nothing but the best for Casey!!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye, there Paul, it's based on the new fastback Wraith! I'm going to use it for a multitude of chops. It has perfect proportions for historic nameplate chops!

      Delete
    2. forgot to say I like the Marlin comparison, too! It's another AMC styling cue for sure.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't blame Romney's dad,--he was Out of management, Retired, by the 70s when AMC had stopped developing Performance, in favor of kow-towing to the Emission-A--holes of the Govt. AMC needed alloy engines, OHCammed & cross-flowed. AMC should have proceeded with the 464cu in v-8--merely a "tall-deck" 390-401. Gm used its big blocks from '70-76 and beyond. The IKA-Renault OHC head from the Argentine "Torino" would fit on the 232-258 AMC 6s which should have been all alloy. The OHC head, (which preceeded Pontiac's) made for a Great engine. I like the ambassador coupe--I wonder if there were Ambassador coupe clays done in the day for '74?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't Rambler have an optional aluminum block inline 6 in the late Fifties or early Sixties? I seem to remember reading about it. Or an aluminum head?

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't think twice to buy that car. Fabulous! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete