Friday, November 18, 2011

Buick LaCrosse Centurion coupe

Based on the LaCrosse GL just shown at the LA Auto Show, my Centurion coupe would be a top-shelf offering. Besides removing the two rear doors to make a coupe, I moved the front wheels four-inches forward and lowered the bodysides and roof by three-inches. I enlarged the glass area, as well as the grille. I also added sleeker headlights from the equally-new Hyundai Azera. One small detail I usually add to my Buick chops: A return of the red, white, and blue Buick logos, in place of the current all-chrome version. I like the classic look of the TriColor! A smoothing of the body contours finishes out the changes to the timeless appeal of this large Buick coupe. Original photo here.

5 comments:

  1. That looks great! The rear window works so much better on the coupe than on the sedan. This is a real continuation of the Buick legacy of big stylish coupes!

    Riviera, anyone?

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paul. I had "Riviera" in mind last night when I did this, but it didn't quite get there, lol. I think I'm stymied a bit by that storied nameplate! It just has to be a spectacular design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're right about that. A Riviera should have unique styling -- not just be a two-door version of an existing sedan. Think of how sorry those LeSabre baeed Rivieras were in the late 70s -- 77 and 78, I think. The 79 Riviera redeemed tha name!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing when you look back at '77-'78, that GM barely disguised their B body LeSabre and made that Riviera. The instrument panels were even exactly the same if my memory serves me right. After the amazing boattail and then the luxury coupe facelift for '75-'76, for them to cynically use the Riviera name on a LeSabre was so odd. You're right, at least they redeemed themselves for '79. I guess the '77-'78 was basically a placeholder until the FWD version was ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! The rear passenger glass looks a bit posh on Bentley proportions.

    ReplyDelete