Saturday, July 12, 2014

Yes, One More '58 Continental!

I've become completely fascinated by the huge unit-bodied Lincolns and Continentals of 1958-60. I guess my regular readers can tell, lol. This time I've moved beyond the side profile and attempted a front 3/4 shot. My main "theme" for this angle was to do something with the huge canted headlight pods and the bodysides which appear to flare out at the bottom instead of tucking in.

I eliminated the headlight pods altogether with hidden headlights and I was shocked at how well that look integrated into the '58 body! The grille now simply wraps around slightly, seeming to tuck behind those "pontoon" front fenders in a way many from the Classic period did. The bodysides have been "filled out" and the rocker panels redesigned to tuck under and around the bottom of the car, All of the sheetmetal has been subtly reworked to be fuller with less "indents" everywhere.

I started with a '58 but soon realized with the extended front fender scallops and the reworked roofline it may have been easier to start with the 1960 model, lol.

I finished off with a very '50s two-tone paint job meant to evoke the Classic period as well, with a design that seems to disappear behind the front fenders, too.

5 comments:

  1. I love it. the colour choice is almost ideal from my eye. I think that the salmon pink works better with a darker grey though. This may be due to my continuing admiration for a 55 Chevy BelAir owned by a friend of my father back in the day. It was just about the same pink but but with a more tonally dissimilar darker grey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Two '58's. Perfect examples of the juke box/baroque style. Not my favorite yet somehow very interesting. The coupe moves a bit closer to the Thunderbird of the era and a bit away from the Lincoln-Mercury style. The sedan is so much more than a new face yet that is what grabs your attention. Nice transformation.

    On another topic, an idea for quick simple chops on the colour portion of your name. What about transforming favorite shapes with colors from a different era. Imagine a '57 Dodge coupe in pewter, or a Cadillac XLR in celadon. A new Corvette in coral with a charcoal interior and coral piping. Maybe a Studebaker Starlight coupe in deep burgundy. Just a thought for fun, quick changes.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty wild! I have dreamed up a 56-57 Mark II 4 door before, a car one could drive oneself or be chauffeured in. Dave in NV

    ReplyDelete
  4. For all your 'What If' fans, there is a terrific video of the 1946 Cadillac Interceptor on www.macsmotorcitygarage.com. Very different from anything you have seen from Cadillac. Enjoy.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete