Friday, March 14, 2014

Silent Sportscar: 2015 Corvett-E

My 2015 Corvett-E, the hybrid sportscar of the future

Rarely do I try to "improve" or "fix" production cars with my chops. I really just try to bring my own taste to the cars I Photoshop. An exception these days is the new C7 Corvette. Every time I Photoshop one I AM trying to fix it, lol. There are some nice things about it and some ghastly things about it. The problems I see range from the small, ie too many black vents, louvers, and crap, to the large, ie, that rising beltline, rear quarter window and awkwardly shaped rear hatch glass. I still don't care for the taillights either, but I've done several renderings with the proper quad circular units, so I've let that go, lol.

For this latest rendering, I created a plug-in range-extended Corvette coupe, the Corvett-E. Yes, a very powerful Volt-type powertrain for GM's halo sportscar! To that end I was able to delete all but one set of body vents, and I toned down that front venter gash with body color and chrome. Extruded and polished aluminum rocker panels point to the new alloy "tub" used for the batteries. The body is a mix of carbonfiber and aluminum for light weight. Note the "gas cap" has been moved to the front fender, is now a wonderful polished aluminum, and covers the charging unit outlet. Instead of the quad circular taillights I prefer, I've modified the current ones covering them with bright grilles, "hiding" the lights in a very Bill Mitchell-esque way. These fine chromed louvers exactly match the new front fender vent trim.

1 comment:

  1. Black. The good, the bad and the ugly. When stylists first used black on grills in the 60's it gave the 'face' a menacing look. Then they eraced the B pillar by painting it black. Then they lost it when they started to surround tail light and headlights with black and ultimately doing door handles in black making them look like holes in the body panels. The new Corvette is the worst offender and your design takes care of most of the problems - except that bottom rear panel. Ugh!
    That has to go. I understand it is supposed to lessen the mass of the rear panel visually but it just looks terrible. I like what you have done but I think it needs to go a bit further.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete