Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mid '60s UK Zodiak-sized Lincoln Continental Coupe

Beginning as a tongue-in-cheek project, I've found changing all the proportions of a 1966 Lincoln Continental 2-door coupe gives us an interesting compact-sized luxury car. I liken it to the handsome British Ford Zephyrs and Zodiaks of the 1960s. Perhaps a Ghia-built coupe based on Lincoln's lines but built on a Zodiak chassis may have looked something like this. I think it looks a bit like those great Lancia and big Fiat coupes of the late Sixties and early Seventies. I added a skyline from Australia, Perth I believe, a likely market for this car had it been offered. If you "squint" I think it has a bit of an early '70s Rolls Royce Camargue look to it.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. I've always had an interest in those UK Fords since I had a Dinky Toy of the 53 Zephyr. I think a car like this would have found a niche inthat period. Anyway, this does resemble those beautiful Pininfarina Fiats and Lancias, which are some of the most beautiful cars of the late 50s/early 60s. The Lancia Flaminia was first up in the late 50s -- I remember a piece about the Flaminia sedan in Motor Trend and I thought "why can't any of the American companies do something that looks this good?" And the Camargue, of course, was also a Pininfarina effort. The Camargue was let down by its front, of course, but the rest of it was pretty nice. Good work -- I'd like to see the plush interior -- I'm trying to recall if you've ever publisehd an interior shot of any of your cars.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul! I've never really done an interior, Paul! It's in the back of my head if I ever find one I could modify effectively!

      Delete
  2. With the passing of William Clay Ford we should take a moment to look at Casey's long history with designing Lincolns. There was even a modification of a Continental Mk.II, William Clay Ford's pet project. On line there are numerous photos of the Mk.II, even one of the two convertible versions, one of which was kept by the Ford family. I think spending a few moments enjoying these cars is a nice way to honor his passing.

    Bobf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning, that, Bob. My friends, Barry and Glynette Wolk of Michigan own the dark blue Mark II convertible that's been featured in a lot of magazines and it was at Pebble Beach last year. It's a gorgeous car with a cool history. Thanks for noticing all of my Lincoln work, too! I could very well have done another big Town Car today but decided to work on the Ford version. I'm going to do a cool Starliner coupe from an entirely different car. This was a Taurus to begin with. I'm going to use a Mercedes for the Starliner...

      Delete